SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seeking a solo skipper doing the live-aboard thing in the Caribbean.
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking a solo skipper doing the live-aboard thing in the Caribbean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Looks like it is just you and me hear mr. dog.

There are lots of folks watching this forum.
If you care to divulge some more information you might get some interest.

If you asked some questions about how much it costs to live in the islands on a boat and what it is like you might find out some stuff that would cause you to change your mind.

You might want to try to get into the head of the people you are trying to get an invitation from.
Most of the boats that you might get to live on cost from 50k to 200k. Yes their are boats that are worth a lot more and some worth almost nothing but whatever the cost it most likely represents a large portion of the captains net worth.

The actual living space on these boats is somewhere around the size of a bathroom to the size of a bedroom.

That space has to contain all the mechanicals including engine, kitchen, bathroom, tanks for fresh water and fuel and septic.

The boat is very susceptible to being damaged by someone who doesn't understand boat systems. You could very likely cause serious damage on a boat just because you don't know how they work.

So you can see that if someone has invested a great deal of their fortune to live in a very small fragile space they are probably not going to be too excited about acquiring a stranger for a roommate.

I have heard that there are several guys that would entertain sharing their boat with a 26 year old yoga instructor who recently taught the diesel course for Max Boring and rounded off her resume with an ABYC electrical certification and and always packed a set of gauges for refrigeration in her luggage. A nitrox scuba certification with a couple years working for Brian Toss would be considered positives. Cooking, cleaning and laundry would of course be a given.

If you want an idea of what a skipper may be looking for check out this crew requirement list.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Dn...9VaGFUcW8/edit

In short you might think about what you could bring to the table that would tip the balance and focus on that when looking for a berth.

PS
Some of you post may be interpreted as you are looking to be lazy. I'm not saying you are since I don't know you.
And while kicking back and enjoying life is a worthwhile goal you may be surprised to know how much work it is to just live aboard a boat in the islands especially if you are anchored or moored out.
Just taking care of your daily necessities food, water laundry etc is a lot more work than in an apartment.

A lot of captains are worried that borders will add to their work. So while I understand your goal you may find it prudent to while you are looking for a berth to focus on what a hard worker you are rather than the kicking back and enjoying the sunsets part.
I really don't have anything I can contribute to help the OP in his endeavor but I did want to thank you for posting a link to that questionnaire. The wording of that document not only shows some serious experience (both good and bad) with having dealt with crewmembers but should be a must read for anybody new to sailing that is looking to gain experience as crew on someone else's boat. It really highlights the importance of being realistic and brutally honest with expectations rather than living in a fantasy world inspired by Captain Ron and hoping for the best. Thanks for the post!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook