SailNet Community - View Single Post - bent bowsprit
Thread: bent bowsprit
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
bent bowsprit

The storm that rolled up the East Coast last week took its toll on the deck where my boat is parked (a motorboat just a few slips down from mine sank). When I came down to the dock the following morning I discovered to my horror that my beloved C30 tall rig was sloshing against the dock. Incredibly, the bobstay was in the process of sawing the dock in half, as it went up and down, up and down with every wave. Fortunately the hull did not come in contact with the dock, but it appears that the first initial impact of the bobstay with the dock bent my bowsprit to starboard about 1/16 of an inch. This is to say that there is a tiny gap between the wood and the bow on the starboard side, and its flush on the port side. I've sailed it hard since then and haven't noticed any problems, and I've inspected it to the best of my ability for any other damage. My question to the learned panel is this: should I try to repair this, or should I just let it go? I don't even know that a surveyor would notice it, but it just hurts my heart to see that little gap... I'm suffering, and it seems that no one around here feels my pain...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook