SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing "big boats"
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing "big boats"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
And we completely LOVE the 50 amps since we live onboard. Imagine trying to heat an all electric boat in Boston during the winter without at least 50 amps!

When we had a 35 amp boat, we had to constantly balance our electric usage... gee, do we want the microwave, or the water heater, or the refrigerators / battery charger, or the washer / dryer, or the space heaters, or ......... get's quite old.

But, some people lament the use of cars instead of horses. And, some pure sailors are embarrassed to have a motor on their vessel. Some even claim a woman onboard is bad luck! Some won't rely on GPS devices. I could list the many lines in the sand which people draw for themselves, but for us, we enjoy the hot water, TVs, microwave, washer & dryer, plenty of heat, refrigerator & freezer, computers, etc., all running concurrently if we choose to. That is the American middle class way of life, and we are pleased to enjoy it.

Choose as you will.
Well, the same thing can be accomplished with 2 30 amp cords, of course. One line dedicated to heat/AC, the other to the rest of the ship's service. That would be my choice, saves one the trouble of wrestling with a 50 amp cord, when a single 30 will do...

Twin 30 amp lines is a much more flexible setup, in my opinion... Plus, one can use both to double the length of one's shore cord if necessary, should one ever venture beyond marinas with power outlets within easy reach, and "the American middle class way of life" ... :-)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook