SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
post #6140 of Old 02-12-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Re: Cruising and racing with wing sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
Yes, I should have been more clear. My interest in this rig is for cruising not racing.

I wonder if it will be more expensive because they think it will be a big selling feature (easier to sail, less rigging to manage, less costs associated w/ maintaining the rigging) or because it's actually more expensive. My guess is the prior. I can't really tell...does this type of rig negate the need for a main traveler?

I believe some of the soft wings can be used in conjunction with foresails. Perhaps when those are accounted for, the overall performance will surpass "conventional" rigs.

I'm ECSTATIC that a large production boat builder has set their sites on this advancement. I think it will be well received in due time.

Heck of a catch (the camera) in that last movie.

Regards,
Yes, very interesting developments but regarding the rig I think it is very informative the choice of the boat and the series were they are developing it:

They are not developing it on a performance cruiser, like for instance on a First 45 but on the more expensive cruising line. That probably means two things: the priority in the development is not performance neither price.

Anyway if Benetau is developing it it means that they believe it can be produced at prices that can still make their top range boats competitive in what regards selling boats and that is just great.

It also means that they think that the rig offers advantages regarding a traditional rig for cruising...and they are rarely mistaken and that's why they are the biggest sail boat manufacturer. For that and because they know how to associate the best developments on sailboat design to inexpensive cruising boats, making better and affordable boats adapted to what most sailors want. They are leading again, as many times, in what regards mass market cruising boats and not only

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome