SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA Coastal Nav Exam - HELP
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
ASA Coastal Nav Exam - HELP

I have been working on the ASA Instructor packet. I passed the ASA exam several years ago, and was looking forward to teaching this stuff...

For my OUPV I received 100% on the navigation skills assessment. However, the ASA Coastal Navigation Review question number 6 has me stumped.

You can find the entire ASA Coastal Navigation Examination Review Questions & Answers here

Based on Chart 1210 TR, Year 1985
Here is the relevant section of the chart;

Quote:
5) Plot a course from the W Or “A” (41° 16.6'N, 071° 24'W.) to Whale Rock buoy (41° 26.7'N, 071° 25.2'W)
a) What is the course?

Magnetic: 010º m

Compass: 015º psc

From a DR position abeam of R”2" (41° 20'N, 71° 28.6'W), plot a danger bearing to avoid the wreck east of your course line (wreck is east of buoy W Or “E”). Use Brenton Reef Light for your bearing.

b) The danger bearing is: Magnetic: 017º m

c) Brenton Reef Light should bear NO MORE/NO LESS (delete one) than the danger bearing to remain safe. NO LESS - The bearing should INCREASE as you pass the wreck.
Eazy peazy... My answers above (in RED) are within 1º of the answers on the review. But now things go astray

Quote:
6) At 1600, on the same course established in question 5, the Point Judith Light (GP Occ (1+2)) bears 300°M. At 1620, the same light bears 270°M. Both bearings are taken with a hand-bearing compass (assume no deviation). Plot a running fix for 1620. Boat Speed is 4 knots.
Let me plot this;

20 min at 4 knots = 1.333 knots

Quote:
a) What is your Running fix position? Lat: 41º 22.5' N Long: 71º 24.65' W
The lattitude answer is OK (answer sheet says 41º 22.35') but the longitude is wrong. 71º 25.7'
Quote:
b) What is the Course Made Good/Track from the W Or “A”buoy? Magnetic:
without a valid fix, I cannot compute this, or any of the following.
Quote:
Assume the difference between the Course Made Good and the heading to be due to leeway (no
current).
c) What is the leeway?

Considering leeway, plot a new course to the Whale Rock buoy.

d) What is the course? True:

e) What is the heading? Magnetic:

Compass:
I know that a bunch of you have been down this road, and believe that I cannot be the only one to be stumped by this.

Am I missing something obvious? Careless error somewhere?

Also, because I have found all of this stuff posted elsewhere online, I don't believe that I am giving anything away. I think that it may also help others that follow in my wake...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 02-12-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook