SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA Coastal Nav Exam - HELP
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-12-2014 Thread Starter
eherlihy
Learning the HARD way...

ASA Coastal Nav Exam - HELP

I have been working on the ASA Instructor packet. I passed the ASA exam several years ago, and was looking forward to teaching this stuff...

For my OUPV I received 100% on the navigation skills assessment. However, the ASA Coastal Navigation Review question number 6 has me stumped.

You can find the entire ASA Coastal Navigation Examination Review Questions & Answers here

Based on Chart 1210 TR, Year 1985
Here is the relevant section of the chart;

Quote:
5) Plot a course from the W Or “A” (41 16.6'N, 071 24'W.) to Whale Rock buoy (41 26.7'N, 071 25.2'W)
a) What is the course?

Magnetic: 010 m

Compass: 015 psc

From a DR position abeam of R”2" (41 20'N, 71 28.6'W), plot a danger bearing to avoid the wreck east of your course line (wreck is east of buoy W Or “E”). Use Brenton Reef Light for your bearing.

b) The danger bearing is: Magnetic: 017 m

c) Brenton Reef Light should bear NO MORE/NO LESS (delete one) than the danger bearing to remain safe. NO LESS - The bearing should INCREASE as you pass the wreck.
Eazy peazy... My answers above (in RED) are within 1 of the answers on the review. But now things go astray

Quote:
6) At 1600, on the same course established in question 5, the Point Judith Light (GP Occ (1+2)) bears 300M. At 1620, the same light bears 270M. Both bearings are taken with a hand-bearing compass (assume no deviation). Plot a running fix for 1620. Boat Speed is 4 knots.
Let me plot this;

20 min at 4 knots = 1.333 knots

Quote:
a) What is your Running fix position? Lat: 41 22.5' N Long: 71 24.65' W
The lattitude answer is OK (answer sheet says 41 22.35') but the longitude is wrong. 71 25.7'
Quote:
b) What is the Course Made Good/Track from the W Or “A”buoy? Magnetic:
without a valid fix, I cannot compute this, or any of the following.
Quote:
Assume the difference between the Course Made Good and the heading to be due to leeway (no
current).
c) What is the leeway?

Considering leeway, plot a new course to the Whale Rock buoy.

d) What is the course? True:

e) What is the heading? Magnetic:

Compass:
I know that a bunch of you have been down this road, and believe that I cannot be the only one to be stumped by this.

Am I missing something obvious? Careless error somewhere?

Also, because I have found all of this stuff posted elsewhere online, I don't believe that I am giving anything away. I think that it may also help others that follow in my wake...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 02-12-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome