SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA Coastal Nav Exam - HELP
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: ASA Coastal Nav Exam - HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Thanks for the reply, but this is an academic exercise. Deviation is not requested for this question, and therefore not relevant, because it is an exercise.

Variation is already factored in to the chart (look at the compass rose). I believe that we can safely assume, because it is an exercise, that the navigator is preforming these calculations in 1985.

I think that the central issue is that I have plotted a course, and am asked to plot a running fix at 1600 and again at 1620. I don't know when I left the starting location, and I don't have a second bearing to compute a fix...

wait a min...

Because I KNOW the intended course, I could assume that I am traveling parallel (or almost parallel) to that course. I KNOW the distance that I should have traveled over 20 min = 1.333 nautical miles. I suppose that I could find a place on the running fix that corresponds to 1.3 nautical miles.

Your use of english, and navigation terms are very good.
I could not read the yearly change on your uploaded picture, nor did I try to plot. I was trying to analyse it from the start..

You have to find a line parallel to the plotted course where the distance between the two bearing lines is 1.333 nm
Next step is to calculate leeway, and answer the remaining questions
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to knuterikt For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (02-12-2014)