SailNet Community - View Single Post - USCG 6 Pack License
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014
capta's Avatar
capta capta is offline
Master Mariner
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: somewhere in the Windward or Leeward Islands
Posts: 1,837
Thanks: 20
Thanked 94 Times in 89 Posts
Rep Power: 4
capta is on a distinguished road
Re: USCG 6 Pack License

Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
That last ship out on anything bigger than a crewboat, you will need STCW which costs a good bit. Your 100-ton license doesn't get you anywhere on anything bigger, even Ordinary Seaman. You need the STCW classes/drills, it's an international treaty requirement.
STCW (Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping), is now required if you are sailing as paid crew. I have heard that without it you can be refused entry into the Bahamas and the BVI. I have never been asked to produce any personal documentation of qualifications or credentials, anywhere in the world except the US (operating a US flagged vessel, but not foreign flagged vessels), even when operating freighters and tugs. Vessel papers, yes, almost everywhere. Passports EVERYWHERE, these days.
"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook