SailNet Community - View Single Post - Planning a Major Cruise
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007

Westsail32 is on a distinguished road
Planning a Major Cruise

I've been restoring my vessel for three winters now. I have been sailing it the last two summers mostly in and around Penobscot Bay, usually solo.

My prior sailing was always regional such as Lake Champlain for 4 years, Chesapeake Bay for 3 years and now the tricky coast of Maine.

None the less, I have never made a blue water trip and am planning to bring my vessel from Maine to Chesapeake this coming fall. I am currently looking for two additional crew members who have some distance under their belts and plan to have a total of three on board.

My objective is to make one push from mid coast Maine to Cape Cod canal in one shot. From there, continue south past Pt. Judith and make the inside passage into LI Sound through NYC.

Next step is Cape May, then Delaware River, C&D Canal and back to familiar waters of the Chesapeake on the way to the Rappahannock.

I've owned several boats over the last 15 years but this is still a major trip for me even though I have hundreds of hours of sailing time.

My vessel has a recent engine, recent rigging, excellent sails, Chartplotter, SSB, VHF, MOB, C.A.R.D., backup GPS, B&G instumentation, Autohelm 4000 with backup in the box, new batteries, dual bilge pumps, two whaler hand pumps, jack lines, harnesses, self inflatable life jackets, tri color mast light and a host of other stuff that came with the boat.

The question is: AM I READY? Any advise out there?

Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook