SailNet Community - View Single Post - buying first boat
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
buying first boat

There are quite a few folks here who could give you some more specific advice, but from your choice of builders listed (Morg and C&C) I thought I would contribute a general thought.

Morgan and C&C, IMHO, are two very diverse boats. Morgan''s (I will assume in the 36-38ft range that you are refering to the 382) are well built (for the price), have solid glass hulls, are on the heavy displacement side but are not at all nicely finished below. The Morgan 382 has a very good mod keel/skeg hung rudder design (similar to a Passport in fact) and with a 5ft draft is ideal for the islands. Indeed, Morgan''s were designed with the islands in mine.

C&C''s (let me confess I don''t have much experience with these boats) tend to be well built, nicely finished boats that are light, stiff and made to race. They have balsa cored hulls and tend to be light displacement. C&C made two lines of boats, one, the Landfall series was designed for cruisers and has a following but... these boats seem to be not built as well as the main C&C line.

The above is not to detail the two boats. I suspect you are just beginning in your search. This is just to say that there are some very basic and significant differences between any number of boats that warrant your consideration. Do you want fast and light or heavy but steady. Solid or cored hull. Nicely finished below in yachtlike condition or just something basic and inexpensive.

If your goal in this is a boat to essentially livaboard in the islands and sails fairly well single handed... I think you will not have much of a problem finding a boat that will suit your purpose well. In fact a Morgan 382 might be a very good choice. There are quite a few other choices that may or may not be better. Hopefully others will contribute.

My advice is to make a list now of your absolute needs, what you are willing to compromise on and your "nice to have''s". Be objective and research each aspect carefully (such as cored vs solid hull, aft cabin vs qtr berth, nicely finished vs not and finally, age: 70''s vintage, 80''s or 90''s. There are pro''s and con''s to each answer.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook