SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repowering with an electric engine?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Repowering with an electric engine?

I disagree slightly about price...my numbers(im still considering electric) come to around $4.5k for a pretty decent mid 30s sailboat electric motor

10kwatt continuos, 15 or max...

this includes everything...

having said that I still have the issue of regen and how to charge while on the hook and solar and wind arent enough unless I only use the engine maybe 30 minutes a day max...

which when cruising windy areas or trades is perfectly reasonable

now if I were a charter boat, docking and unloading all the time and on schedule eletric would be a no go for ME....

I still dream of doing it...

here was my list of goodies to buy:

electric motorsport 10kw kit $1650 ready to use or the diy kit was around 1k.
batteries $800 for 4-8 batteries cheap or good ones(trojans)
assorted mounts and fabrication $200
chain and gear kit custom made down here about $100

extra panels and a custom wind genny another $500 or so
and shipping down here is about $600!

since I already bought a portable generator thats off the list. its small but plenty to recharge a small 4 bank battery setup on the hook...

thats if not going below 80 percent battery capacity...if I go lower I would have to have a big ass 5kw generator and those are too loud to be on the hook for sure

those are my thoughts

I have an outboard to enjoy for now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook