SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Crew wanted Key West To Panama

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
Experienced Merchant Marine Officer looking for Crew members to sail from Oceanside Marina Key West Fl....probably sometime in April or sooner..40 ft sloop rigged vessel

Looking for experience...If you have never sailed before..please don't reply...Learn how to sail first..

Approximate 9 day sailing...If desired, vessel will be sailing on, across the Pacific..upon transiting canal

E-mail...worldwind05@yahoo.com

#3 ·
Crew wanted follow up

As a Follow Up...to above solicitation for crew..

Just started to get final plans together..although I've pretty well researched out my itinerary.. My Vessel is a 40 ft custom built 1975 Creekmore..

My intention is to sail from Key West..to Grand Cayman...Then due south to Panama...and then across Pacific.

Ideal crew..is like the guy I met in the laundry room a few days ago at Marina...A retiree , an experienced sailor who loved to sail..who had a great trip sailing through the Canal then on across the Pacific.."Nothing like hearing first hand accounts"..from a good down to earth sailor.

He expected nothing with regard to compensation or transportation...
didn't need that..out there for the fun and the joy of the experience..A real sportsman...

Looking for people with nothing to prove..just laid back sailors...who are easy to get along with..Who are generally finished with their professional activities in life. Personally I had an unlimited licensed...didn't even bother to renew or maintain it..Worked professionally as naval Architect..Westlawn design grad etc...www.afewgoodboats.com my website

Personally, I've sailed in my later years on freighters and tankers as officer..all over the world..as well as smaller commercial vessels types..My sail background dates back to the 60's..on pleasure boats.

Have had the opportunity to go over the vessel the past 2 years and replaced and or fixed what needed to be done..etc..Well founded vessel with all the usual amenities..

If female..has to be a current..well seasoned sailor.. Not looking for couples.

If you are young need to be working or developing a career..or are having problem with supporting yourself, I would suggest a job.?.This is a pleasure venture..The Merchant Marine...compensates professional seaman very well.

I started as Z card ordinary seaman (after Grad School)..retired as 2nd mate unlimited.."It seems more are interested in getting licenses than going out there and just doing the job for a commercial endeavor and enjoying it" LOL

#4 ·
UPDATE:

Vessel is in process of being fitted out with new Engine..Yanmar 4 JHE...56hp...sailing date on or before April 30th..."Looking for ONE crew member"

Sail plan...prevailing wind out of the East...Sail Westerly from Key West..to Isla de Mejeres Mexico...Then south down the coast to Panama and through Canal..Sailing to Salinas Equiador..before turning west across Pacific.

#5 ·
Tom967-

You might want to re-think your website's design a bit. It is almost completely unreadable because you have white font on a light grey background.

#6 ·
I didn't have the problem with the website. Black text against greyish background.

#8 ·
sailingdog said:
Tom967-

You might want to re-think your website's design a bit. It is almost completely unreadable because you have white font on a light grey background.
It depends on what browser you look at it in.

With Mozilla Firefox (what I use 99% of the time) it is white text on a white-ish background, not readable at all unless you use the mouse to highlight the text.

With Internet Explorer it is black text on the same white-ish background, so is easily readable.

I didn't take the time to look at the code and determine why that's the case, but different browsers interpret some html code differently.

Good Luck on the voyage, sounds like a blast! :)

#9 ·
mabrodis-

Very interesting to see that his site doesn't work in standards compliant browsers, but does work in the one non-compliant browser. Opera, FireFox, Camino, Safari are all standards compliant browser.

#12 ·
sailingdog said:
Tom967-

I think it's your browser. I use netscape. I too saw the white text/gray background. I changed the rendering engine from firefox to explorer and that changed it to the black text!

#13 ·
BilgeH2Omgt said:
I think it's your browser. I use netscape. I too saw the white text/gray background. I changed the rendering engine from firefox to explorer and that changed it to the black text!
It isn't my browser... because all the browsers I am using are standards compliant browsers...and they have a problem with the site... that generally means the site's design is somehow at fault. IE is a non-compliant browser. :rolleyes:

Firefox, Camino, Safari, Opera, and Mozilla are all web standards compliant browsers, yet all of them render the site incorrectly... Hmmm. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.