SailNet Community - View Single Post - Planning a Major Cruise
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007

Westsail32 is on a distinguished road
Hello Valiente,

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and providing some good advise.

I am having a local rigger come by in May before launch to go over the entire rig before she gets stepped. All wire was replaced in 1999 and was stored indoors for three years before I purchased the vessel. None the less, I want someone with experience to go over the rig and running rigging to look for any problems.

Lee cloths were installed on port and starboard settees. The V birth also has lee cloths.

There is lots of spare gear on board for shackles, blocks, spare halyards. Good anchor gear with 44 pound CQR, Bruce 33, Danforth 40, and a Fortress. I also have new anchor rodes. One is 300' high tinsle 3/8" and the other is 90' 3/8 chain with 250 nylon rode. I don't have a storm jib but just had my Hood Staysail modified so it can be reefed in heavy weather.

My fuel tanks were installed new in 1999. The prior owner had these replaced when he repowered. I don't know the condition of the fuel but have run the engine about 130 hours over the last two seasons without a glitch. I just replaced my Racor filters. The vessel has two Racors per tank for a total of 4 filters. The engine is a Yanmar 4jh3e which has 56 HP on a Max three bladed prop. I have back up belts, filters, impellars and just purchased the shop manual for the engine.

I agree that my vessel is not fast but is capable of 140 mile days and has done more than that in the past with the prior owner. Actually, this vessel won the Marion to Bermuda race in 1995.

Filing the sail plan is a prudent suggestion and will be done.

Lastly, you mentioned 6 hour shifts for a three man crew. You also mentioned two men on and one man resting. Could you elaborate a bit more on that?

I am also planning a solo run from Blue Hill Bay off shore past Isle au Haut and then back to Owls Head. I won't be in sheltered waters but will be within sight of land (islands) most of the time. It will give me some feel of ocean swells and steady winds.

My sails are all recent Hood sails with triple stitching and chafe protection.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook