SailNet Community - View Single Post - Planning a Major Cruise
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and providing some good advise.

Hey, you are doing what I hope to do sooner! Besides, I have a soft spot for Westsail 32s, thanks to the snarly books of Ferenc Mate.

I am having a local rigger come by in May before launch to go over the entire rig before she gets stepped. All wire was replaced in 1999 and was stored indoors for three years before I purchased the vessel. None the less, I want someone with experience to go over the rig and running rigging to look for any problems.

That's prudent. An effective date of 2002 is new enough to avoid most age and wear and tear problems, but if there's a compromised tang or swage that a dye test would reveal (and that hasn't shown itself because you weren't in offshore conditions), it's best to find it at the dock.

Lee cloths were installed on port and starboard settees. The V birth also has lee cloths.

Nice. I really believe that sleep is probably more important than fuel on passage.

I don't have a storm jib but just had my Hood Staysail modified so it can be reefed in heavy weather.

Ah, OK. Glad to hear you are cutter rigged. I am a big fan of staysails, especially if you can reef them down. Your ground tackle inventory is huge by contemporary standards: Hal Roth would approve!

I have back up belts, filters, impellars and just purchased the shop manual for the engine.

Jeez, I don't know why you are worried...you've hit about every point on my mental checklist!

Actually, this vessel won the Marion to Bermuda race in 1995.

Nice!

Filing the sail plan is a prudent suggestion and will be done.

Lastly, you mentioned 6 hour shifts for a three man crew. You also mentioned two men on and one man resting. Could you elaborate a bit more on that?

Here's my logic for a short but intense passage.

If the passage is three days and you have three men of reasonable stamina and skill, you have 72 hours at hand. I can't recall if you have a windvane, but let's assume conditions are such that you decide to actively steer and trim the sails.

Normally, you'd want four hour watches, but I think if you can do a six-hour watch consisting of three on deck and three below, you can have a six hour sleep for each man in a 24 hour day, plus a three hour nap on a night "dog-watch". This leaves nine "awake and available" hours, of which three are a further deck watch, and six is "light duty/reading/galley". If you have Crew A, B, and C, you stagger B's start time by three hours initially, so that A takes the first trick, B sleeps or loafs until three hours pass, and C starts with "light duty". C cooks for A and B at the three-hour mark, and relieves A at the helm, who goes below and loafs. B then becomes "the active" and available crew, and A cooks or cleans (or plots or fixes) and then retires.

Man...I think I need to draw a diagram...Anyway, the idea is basically that B is the swing shift, and will work half with A and half with C and that no one needs to spend more than three hours on deck and in charge, and of course can call for relief from whoever is "active" below without waking up the guy who is "off". This presumes, of course, that all three can cook, steer and plot...

I am also planning a solo run from Blue Hill Bay off shore past Isle au Haut and then back to Owls Head. I won't be in sheltered waters but will be within sight of land (islands) most of the time. It will give me some feel of ocean swells and steady winds.

My sails are all recent Hood sails with triple stitching and chafe protection.

Please post how it all goes. You have a very good start.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook