SailNet Community - View Single Post - buying first boat
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
buying first boat

Hi Jerry

I am glad this thread has been helpful. I think you got a great reply from Tsenator who has mentioned the smaller/newer more production oriented option.

I looked at a very wide range of boats, and got some good and generous advice from quite a few people, including folks in this forum. All boats on my short list fit my objective criteria and having that as a cut off was very helpful. The choice came down to the subjective factors I listed and my own personal bias. In the end I decided I would contribute more towards the boat and so my list shifted dramatically. I made a decision that an aft cabin, the quality of the joinery and the bluewater reputation of the boat were important to me and that I would spend more to get those qualities that I was looking for.

Invictus is a Wauquiez Hood 38. A pretty well respected Ted Hood design, wonderful cabin, yacht-like joinery and a very seaworthy.

I could not be more pleased with the boat, it was a very good choice. But in reality, I could have spent less and gotten a boat that would do essentially the same for me (although my long term plan is for substantial bluewater cruising). It really was a matter of budget.. but if getting a more expensive boat meant NOT taking off for the islands... my advice would be to go for the less expensive boat and go for the islands.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook