SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Icebox Drain

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  SEMIJim 
#1 ·
I have just taken posession of a Niagara 31 (my first boat :D ). I found that the icebox drain is hooked to a footpump (tap water) by a two-way valve. To drain the ice box I flip the valve from the water tank to the icebox drain and use the drinking water foot pump to pump the effluent through the tap into the sink to drain away. To me this seems very unsanitary. I was thinking of connecting the icebox drain to one of the cockpit drains close to the hull to allow passive drainage. Do I need a shut off valve in this line or is there a better way in general to correct this problem? :confused:

#4 ·
Generally, I don't recommend draining an icebox into the bilge if at all avoidable. Food particles and such often end up in the ice box water, and then in the bilge... and that can lead to a very nasty smelling bilge after a while. Draining to the shower sump makes the most sense, but on many boats, this isn't all that feasible, since the head and the galley are far from each other. Another option would be to install a small shower-type sump with pump for the icebox drain.

The drain to the icebox should have a trap, like that you'd find under a sink otherwise, not only will the water drain out, but most of the cold air as well.

#5 ·
Sailingdog, never thought about a trap. My icebox drains into the bilge as of now, but it will go to the shower sump, once i install one. The current set up on my boat is pretty bad, both the bathroom sink and shower drain into the bilge. Im installing a shower sump for them and plan to plumb the icebox to it also.

#6 ·
As the ice box drain has been connected to the fresh water system previously, I would recommend you disconnect it, don’t drink from the line, clean and disinfect the water tank, replace the water line from the tank to the pump and pump to the sink. Pull the pump apart and give it a good cleaning of replace it, it is a huge health risk. If you think about ice boxes/ fridges and the muck that gets spilt inside them including blood from raw chicken/steaks/fish, soft drink, wine, also people getting things out of the unit after using the head (YES NOT EVERY BODY WASHES THIER HANDS). Nothing that has the possibility to contaminate the fresh water supply should be allowed to come anywhere near let alone be connected to it.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

#7 ·
IIRC the icebox drain goes into the sink drain on my rig. Then again, it might be two different drains, but since the icebox and sink are near one another, I seem to recall them being tied together somehow.

If their is two thru hull drains, both are below waterline.

I do agree tho, that the method used seems unsanitary.

marty

#8 ·
I am assuming that by "ice box" it is meant a cooler mounted under a counter top.

#9 ·
That sounds sort of like the system I have designed for my boat. There was previously a foot pump operated "salt water rinse"(which was disconnected for maintenance but never reconnected). The sink is below the water line so drains into a bucket. My plan is to have the sink drain into a sump and use the foot pump (via a Y-valve) to empty the sump. I also plan to have ice melt drain into the sump, but because cold air also drains down hill there will a simple water trap so only water goes into the sump.

#11 ·
Our icebox drain goes to a hose that ends just behind the companionway steps. I could leave the cap off the end and it'd just drain into the bilge. But I don't like water in the bilge, so I leave it stoppered. When I want to drain it, I drain it into a bucket and empty the latter over the side. (The water from two bags of ice requires two trips.) I plan someday to look to plumbing that drain into the sink drain if I can. (Might not be able to do that, as I suspect the bottom of the icebox is below the waterline.) If I do it, I'll probably put a valve in it. Cold water is better than no cooling at all.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.