SailNet Community - View Single Post - Voyaging on $500 per month
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I'm very happy with my cold beer, but it's not a driving force in my cruising designs. Living without a fridge is really not that hard. Humans have done it for most of our existence. It's only been in the last couple of decades that the technology has become readily available for cruising boats. Somehow our recent fore bearers managed to survive. I just don't see what the big deal is all about.
Mike, Don't underestimate climate differences. You sail in a temperate zone in cold water. I'll wager that your warmest water temp is about equal to our coldest. Visualize hurled peas, no not that, but water temp of 85-90 degrees air temp of 90-100+ and the sun blazing away making the decks to hot for bare feet. Everything will wilt, melt or grow green fuzz/slime. You will be hard pressed to go six to eight weeks and have some fresh food - salad, eggs, milk, meat without a frig. True our forefathers did it, but they carried chickens, goats and pigs to milk, collect eggs or slaughter along the way. They ate weevils, suffered from scurvy, had salt boils all over their bodies and died an early death, or escaped to someplace they could bury the anchor and not worry about getting pressed into sea service again.
Some people talk about unsightly solar collectors on a boat, but look at some of the shade systems employed to protect from the tropical sun, just as unsightly in my opinion.
And finally, there is something really elegant about harnessing the wind and sun to power a really enjoyable "off the grid" experience be it on a sailboat or a backwoods cabin. But remember, "form follows function".
John

Last edited by ccriders; 02-13-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook