SailNet Community - View Single Post - Voyaging on $500 per month
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Mike, Don't underestimate climate differences. You sail in a temperate zone in cold water. I'll wager that your warmest water temp is about equal to our coldest. Visualize hurled peas, no not that, but water temp of 85-90 degrees air temp of 90-100+ and the sun blazing away making the decks to hot for bare feet. Everything will wilt, melt or grow green fuzz/slime. You will be hard pressed to go six to eight weeks and have some fresh food - salad, eggs, milk, meat without a frig.
It's a good point John. My current cruising ground is quite cool most of the time. I am going to learn a lot as we head south. That said, most of the items you list do not make it on my current fresh food supply list. You list the ones I mostly exclude. Lettuce doesn't keep at all, but cabbage is a great substitute for that. Eggs, as has been pointed out, keep very well without cooling. You have to get them fresh, and outside the supermarket system. Powdered whole egg is also pretty good. Fresh milk and related products are off the list, as is large supplies of fresh meat. But powdered milk is very fine, as is canned and packaged coconut milk (a must for curries). Hard cheeses last a long time without refrigeration.

All I'm saying is that there are lots of food options for those who don't want a fridge. And when I talk about our fore fathers, I'm referring to cruisers in the 60s, 70s and 80s, not the days of old. I've also read that even today you'll find a much higher proportion of North American boats with fridge/freezers than our European cousins.