SailNet Community - View Single Post - buying first boat
View Single Post
post #16 of Old 04-11-2002
tsenator

buying first boat

Hey I think the Bristol 38.8, Little Harbor 38 & the Wauquiez Hood 38 are all very nice boats. But I think they are getting out of jerrycooper14 original budget of around 65,000 ?..... Unless I am wrong.....I think you would be hard pressed to find one under $85k (Unless of course it needed a little help....)

And I think everyone is getting away from his initial desire to find a boat to live aboard and coastal cruise in the Keys/USVI NOT around Cape Horn. And since this is his first boat I don''t think he needs one with a PHRF rated under 100. Also there is *nothing* inherently wrong with a simple rig that has a mainsail w/overlapping genny. And with the right boat I wouldn''t say that they are hard to singlehand (Unless they were overcanvassed). On the contrary a little heavier (D/L) boat with this setup can be easily singlehanded albiet with a less than exciting light air capability. A lighter boat that "sails on her ear" and very bendy spars might be the ultimate singlehander for a very experienced sailor . But how much experience do you have with "tweeking" your mast on the fly?... Do you have experience with running backstays? How about a backstay adjuster? Do you understand the dynamics of tuning these under sail in different conditions? Who knows, you might be doing more harm than good?

I think for most sailors, simple is better. Get a little heavier, simple, stable boat. You will sail more comfortably , maybe a little slower in light air. But after a few years if stellar performance is what you are looking for and you have the funds available, then you can move into one of the more "performance" orientated boats.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome