SailNet Community - View Single Post - To Rebuild or not to Rebuild that is the question
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014
OUPV 25 Ton

CaptainRahnn is on a distinguished road
To Rebuild or not to Rebuild that is the question

Ok, so I was motoring in from Vallejo Yacht Club to Stockton ie SSC...a long ways for anyone who has done this knows. Somewhere along the way ( not exactly sure because I was Drinking Rum to keep from freezing to death) I hit a patch of water Hyacinth! Pretty much all over the Delta the last few years and difficult to avoid especially at night. The engine made a grumble as it does occasionally when hitting this stuff. I didn't think anything of it and on I went on ( again exact time frame kind of fuzzy but I was close to my home port SSC. Apparently I had plugged up my raw water intake and didn't realize it because well I don't have a temp alarm . My gf goes down below and says it smells weird down here. So I step into the main cabin and smell that hot water anti-freeze smell , by this time we are literally in front of the Ssc. I look at the temp and it's pegged at 230 YIKES!! My engine is a westerbeke "w30" or perkins 4-91 not confermed what perkins it is but that's what I was told. The next day I fired the motor up it seem to start and run normally but I think it's smoking a bit more than before. There was no hour meter when I bought the boat so unsure of total hours. All this happened around 1/5/2014. Since then I haven't taken any long trips just in and out of the slip basically. Yesterday when I fired her up I noticed a bit of a miss while still cold seems to go away after it's heated up along with most of the smoke. So I guess my question would be where do I go from here? I do have a background in gas engines (completely rebuilt an atomic 4 with the help of a machine shop) but I really have no expierence in Diesel engines. Is it worth rebuilding this motor, do I break down and drop a brand engine in?
Thanks
Smooth Sailing _/) _/)