SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cockpit Drains: Where do we get them?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Cockpit Drains: Where do we get them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Sorry to take this slightly off topic.. but this is pertinent to what I have been pondering with my Seasprite.

The 23 has 2 cockpit drains, both forward that drain straight down to thruhulls far below the waterline.

I have been pondering removing all below the water thruhulls and just running these two lines back under the cockpit and through the transom. Any thoughts?
We did this on a former boat, whether this will work depends on the boat's configuration and the location and slope of the new 'drains'.

In our case unfortunately we ran the drain from aft in the cockpit out under the counter (the actual transom was too high) and we discovered that when heeled the stern wave caused water to backflood into the cockpit where previously it had not with the thru hull drains. In retrospect crossing the drains over side to side may have solved that one, had there been room to do so.

On another boat I've seen it done, but with poor slope leaving a low spot that stayed full of water - it froze one winter and split open. However since it was all above the waterline the only water that got in the boat was rain water.

Anyhow, the upshot is that while it sounds a great idea, how well it works depends of the relative locations of cockpit floor, transom elevation, hull shape etc.

Maybe get a cutaway profile drawing of your boat and do some sketches first.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook