SailNet Community - View Single Post - WHERE did you find your boat?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Here in Chesapeake country, there's a great freebie sailing publication called SpinSheet. It's available at marinas, bars, restaurants, etc. all over the place. Comes out monthly, and is widely read. It has many pages of boats for sale, both through brokers and private sellers. There probably is something similar up there. Dawg should know.

Also, if you know the manufacturer you want, join the email list here on Sailnet and tell people what you are looking for. Word of mouth works, too.

I found my current boat by happenstance. I owned a Pearson 27 and had decided (after years of looking and researching) that I wanted a P-33-2 for "the" next boat. But I was in no hurry and checked out boats as I found out about them. I also was working with a broker. At that time I was commodore of the Pearson Sailing Association of the Chesapeake Bay, and a lady called me one day to ask if she and her husband could list their P-33-2 in the "for sale" section of the PSA website. I told her that they could -- if they joined and paid dues of $25. She was too cheap to do that of course, but she brightened up when I told her I was looking for a P-33-2 and wanted to come see it. I bought it about 3 months later.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook