SailNet Community - View Single Post - iPad Charging - 12V vs. Inverter
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: iPad Charging - 12V vs. Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
We never ever charge off the invertor. We do, however, run the genset each morning and night to top the house bank and refreeze the ice and everyone scrambles for an outlet and plugs everything in. Sort of a Pavlov's Dog scenario. Funny.
This is the best way to charge loads like this. I refer to it as opportunity charging or sneak charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
My only remaining concern is those cig style sockets themselves. I've seen so many short out in my lifetime, I always worry they are a fire hazard.
The only real problem with them is humans...

Keep in mind that most of these are safe to run at a max of about 6-8A, even the 15A rated models. Proper wiring and a 10A max fuse will prevent 99.9% of the issues. As plugs on devices that insert into the sockets get loose over time, REPLACE THEM......

I can't tell you how many times I have seen 150W "plug in" style inverters inserted into a cig style outlet, that is fed UNFUSED with 16GA wire, and the socket is physically melted. Just don't be crazy about it and they will give almost zero issues...

Remember these USB adapters are burning a max of about 1.5A DC, a miniscule load to one of these outlets......... Also please DO NOT plug "1,000,000 candle power search lights" into these outlets..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-15-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook