SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

As a full time cruiser I prefer to drop my 122lb anchor on 7 to 1 scope of 7/16 G4 chain but living in Coconut Grove near Miami I have seen the benefits of a city mooring field.

The anchorage outside Dinner Key Marina was full of semi-derelicts that would sink at the rate of one every 8 weeks. The City would spend $50,000 every two years raising and destroying these sunken derelicts. It is still possible to anchor outside the mooring field with a long dinghy trip but the number of semi-derelicts has been reduced by 75%.

The Dinner Key mooring field now attracts lots of cruising boats that spend significant amounts of money in the local business community, previously cruising boats were reluctant to anchor close to the semi-derelicts.

I also take note of every anchor I see on cruising boats and 1-2% have such inadequate anchors that I would not use them for my rubber dinghy!

In places where there are tidal swings in the anchorage I far prefer well maintained moorings, not because of the safety of my anchor but because of the 1-2% who are likely to pull and damage my boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook