SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help me pick chain for my anchor
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr575
I have recently posted requesting help in deciding if my ground tackle is suffiicient. One recommendation is more chain. i have 12 ft of (i think) 5/16 galvanized chain. i want to increase it. I have noticed there are different types of chain. What is recommended and where can i get it? Is Lowes or home depot an economical option for chain or should i be sticking to a west marine or something like that. Can i just add to what i have with a shackle or should i replace the whole chain? Jason
You definitely need more. In general terms BBB or G40 will be what you want. You can go to high tensile if you want, or if your windlass wildcat forces you undersized (considering your existing anchoring tackle, it may).

There is a mode of thought which says light chain heavy anchor, contrary to Newport's post, but that theory gets more support when anchoring on hard bottoms and/or shallow water. In mud it's best to maintain a certain amount of weight in the chain.

One pointer is to ensure the quality; do not buy anything made in China. Avoid anything not European or from the US. Ask to see proof of origin as it isn't always obvious, and many stores carry cheap nasty stuff.

You can add it to the existing chain with a good quality joiner (again be very careful), but for the sake of 12' why bother. Replace it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook