SailNet Community - View Single Post - British Seagull? Dinghy engine advice needed
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
British Seagull? Dinghy engine advice needed

Dinghy's are a pain in the tail to me... I am looking for some advice.

We bought our boat last year and it has a 15 HP Johnson that is huge and heavy . We have an Avon 3.41 that we have so far kept deflated and in the Lazarette. I never feel like dealing with that dang engine - It takes a hoist and PitA rig.

Growing up we had a small wooden dinghy with A British Seagull outboard. Most of the time we towed the dinghy, but the British Seagull could be handed to someone on the dinghy and had a built in gas tank. It seems so logical to me. Not to mention that the engine was purely simple and reliable.

I don't think they make them any more (am I right?), but why would that not still make sense? I can buy a used British Seagull. I realize it is only 3hp, and it may not even move the Avon that I have, but I really don't care about planing or speeding around on a dinghy...I just want to be able to get from an anchorage to a shore. I also would like to be able to remove it from the dinghy with ease.

So my question is....Does anyone know anything about a British Seagull and why that wouldn't work for me now? Also, is there an equivalent small outboard. Weight and convenience are everything to me on a sailboat. If I avoid using the dinghy because its such an aggravation I might as well not have one.

Any thoughts, ideas appreciated....Here is a picture of the engine for those that haven't seen one...