SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Low buck chartplotter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpoints View Post
Ok, the low-buck project is really just a wooden tablet holder that turns my tablet into a chartplotter (EarthNC marine charts works really well on Android).

For about $20 in red oak from Lowes/HD you can make this:
1) 4' length of nominal 1x2 for the "L" brackets (or 1x3 if your tablet has a thick case around it)
2) 2' length of actual 0.5" x 6"

Steps
1. measure and cut the back plate, I made mine 1/8" longer than the longest dimension of the tablet - this allows it to slide in and out handily and yet be snug enough not to fall out unexpectedly. For the other dimension I made mine 3/4 higher than the tablet width.
2. Using a router table or table saw, turn the 1x2 into an L-bracket. Cut out a depth of 3/8" (approx half the 1x2 depth), up to 3/8" from the edge.
3. Cut that L bracket into 3 pieces, to fit the sides and bottom of the backplate.
4. Using Titebond III wood glue, glue and clamp the longest piece to the backplate. Make sure the L bracket forms a retaining lip in front of the plate.
5. After that has dried for 12+ hours, clamp and glue the side L brackets forming a retaining lip around 3 sides of the backplate.
6. Drill holes through the side to allow the charging cable to reach the tablet
7. Using forstner bits, drill a "keyhole" to securely hang the holder on a screw mounted in the bulkhead.
8. Sand and varnish.

If you have any questions let me know.
Beautiful work! I hope it holds up. Red oak is not the best choice for a marine environment. I learned a little about the different wood types when I redid my cabin table.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook