SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help me pick chain for my anchor
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Newport...if your chain is light and strong you don't have it weighing down your bow OR you can carry more of it without weighing down your bow. HT is about 30% less weight than BBB for a given size so that is nice if you are going to need an all chain rode and have a smaller/lighter boat where you want the ends of the boat level! In terms of breaking strength, BBB or HT in 5/16 are plenty strong enough for Jason's boat and displacement.

Jason...1. Bruce is no longer made 2. Lemar now produces a look-alike model called a Claw 3. I would not buy one.
4. The differences in chain are in the SIZE of the links and the building process. When you do get a windlass it will come with a capstan for a specific size and type chain. If you already have chain...you need to buy a windlass that can handle that specific type of link which can limit your choices and often there is ONE windlass which is perfect for the room and arrangement you have on your specific boat. If that ONE windlass can't handle your existing chain...you need to throw out your chain. That is why I recommended BBB to you as it is todays most widely used windlass chain.
HT in the 5/16 size is stronger and lighter and more expensive and WILL work in many BBB capstans but IS slightly different and MAY not be compatible with a specific capstan. BOTH HT 5/16 and BBB 5/16 are more than strong enough for your boat and storm loads.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook