SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
Another consideration is current and tidal range in that area. The current is over 2 knots and the tidal range is 8'. A mooring field will allow more boats into the same area safely. The boats it will attract will be more likely to spend money at local restaurants and shops. A lot of the boats anchored there and in factory creek are an eye sore. Cleaning up the area will make the area more attractive from the water and shore.
Jim
Completely Agree!
Beaufort has a slue of old rundown boats that trash the waterways. Get rid of them. Bill the owners with the cost, But more importantly hire someone" RICK" a harbormaster be required to identify the boats that drop their hook's within 24 hrs. then when the vessel id left derelict there is a way to contact them and more importantly "BILL" them for forced removal and destruction in the land fill or auction off to the public.
1) I Agree there should be a safe mooring. This mooring should be for the visitors and they should pay.
2) The derelict boats is problem is not the same complaint or problem and should not be sold to the public as the same "its a LIE"
3) No one should have the right to take the ICW waterway and claim rights to make money with is.

Just show me one example of maintenance expenses that is covered by the fees charged in any east coast mooring field. They take the grant money. A contracter stuffs his pockets and the cities are stuck with the annual maintenance fee.
So Me I have to move my mooring $2,000- tackle That Robert dives on at least once a year. And to stay there I have to rent from Rick?
Just not fair for locals that are doing the right thing and have there tackle and boat in good shape. So who makes out ? The Coastal cruiser with money. The local guy like me . Well i'm screwed.

LT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook