SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gulf 32 Sail Plan Heavy Weather
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
A sail usable as a staysail would be too large and of too light a fabric to serve as a storm sail. A storm sail would be to small and too heavy to be of any use as a staysail.

I've not run a rig with a staysail, but I would think one might serve as the 100% jib I suggest, I'm just not sure such a sail would offer much performance utility for the cost/aggravation.
Yes, poor wording on my part. I was meaning to suggest that the sail set on the inner forestay would be a storm jib (SJ) and not a working jib.

On Raven we have an overlaping genoa on a furler, with a removeable inner forestay on which we set , when required, a storm jib. We've never used a working jib on the inner, in fact, we've never had to use the storm sail in anger. The worst conditions we have been caught in have been handled by reefing the main and partially furling the genoa. It would take a mighty blow for us to need to raise the SJ indeed it is my belief (backed up by the conditon of the sail) that in 20 years of service with us and previous owners the SJ has only been out of it's bag for interest's sake.

Apologies if I confused the issue.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook