SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bavaria Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
I chartered several Bavarias (34 to 40 feet -they are very popular here in Adriatic sea because the are cheap).
To my standards all hardware is undersized on Bavarias. They are however quite OK for protected waters, but I know of one guy who wanted to sail it across Atlantic and had a severe hull-deck separation (without a major storm) - I think she was a 32 feet boat - not really designed for oceans.
I also read all about keels problems on their "match" series and the arrogant response of Bavaria and the dealer almost made me sick ("If you race a BMW and drive it into a wall you also get some damage..").
I think they no longer sell match series at all. Most had keel attachments reinforced after the incident.
You must understand the design point of those boats:
Majority is sailing in Adriatic sea in summer months. Typical wind force is 3 and dies at sunset. The waves are small (mostly less than a feet), lots of small islands - all very close (like this
http://www.kornati.hr/images/galerija/Zakan_JI.jpg ). There is also good weather forecast.
Most boats are out on a day sail and safely moored to the dock in some protected harbour or marina during the night. Usually with shore power (default battery of Bavaria is very small).
So, the boats are suitable for that purpose.
The woodwork inside is - well low cost. You get what you pay for. Their "Vision" series may be better - I do not know them, but the "cruiser" series (most popular here) is vary basic.
But you get a 38 footer for a price of a 30 footer. So - if you need her for protected water - why not.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook