SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Oceanis 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
It's always a delight to see people enjoying their boats. At the same time, I found myself cringing a bit at the thought of Betsy trying to control her new boat without another one or two experienced sailors on board. It appeared to me that her skills are rather basic, and the absence of a traveler control at the helm station makes it very difficult to depower the main in puffs. You could see her instinctively start turning down in the puff, which only exacerbated the boat's heel, rather than feathering into the wind, as the dealer instructed her.

I hope she gets more instruction and keeps sailing the boat. All it takes is one close call or accident to discourage new sailors from going out. Then the boat sits lonely in its slip, while the owner pursues other interests. Sort of wish the dealer had pointed her to a smaller boat.
The boat needs reefing to have a more relaxed sailing. They were going well over 9K and that's a lot for a cruiser like that. The boys are having fun and impressing the lady. With a reef in the sails the boat would be making over 8K at a much smaller heel angle. That boat does not even like to be sailed that way.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-16-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook