SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 26 vs. ?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007

Highlandfling26x is on a distinguished road
Smile Comments on the MacGregor 26x and m

I would be the first one to agree that a MacGregor 26x/m is not a real sailboat in the true sense of the word. However my 98 26x is not that bad. Yes it has weather helm, scares the crap of me in wind gusts and steers like a pig if you push it to 10/10ths. I think the 150% Genoa I installed on a CDI FF2 might be a bit much sail but once I get the steering down pat and get over my fear of dumping the thing I am sure it will be fine.
I have read all the horror stories about this boat and I have to think that some may be attributed to an incorrectly ballasted or weighted boat, lack of understanding of the boats quirkyness (That would be me right now) or sailing in waters not suited for this style of boat.
I am making a wild guess that Roger MacGregor is not completely daft and has tried to make the best product for a reasonable price.

This boat is not a C&C or a Catalina (My dream boats) but the stainless steel bits are a lot cheaper for the Mac and it's so much fun to sail the boat up onto a beach full of picknickers or trail down to Harrison Lake for the weekend.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook