SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
I think a better approach to anchored vessels would be on the order of how Annapolis approaches anchoring. you get pumped out every couple days and they pay attention to he anchored boats while they are at it.
In Daytona, if you go into the municipal marina and inquire about dinghy dock , there isn't one.
Not sure if they offer paid use of the facilities if your anchored. they didn't in the past.if they offered these services it wouldn't harm the bottom line as they would be charging .and if they offered pumpout from a boat while at anchor I would think it would aleviate that issue. The anchorage across from the north basin in Daytona south of the orange ave bidge is a poor spot IMO I prefer south of Seabreeze as it is a no wake zone and little fetch and close to a public ramp you can walk to the beach.
I think you're missing one very important point... the cost of a municipality to purchase a pump out boat is not insignificant, $50-60K in the example of Tiverton, RI cited below... That is only gonna be justified in a town or harbor which is collecting a significant amount of money from mooring or other usage fees, pumpout boats are only economically feasible in places like Annapolis, Nantucket, Marathon, etc - very busy harbors, hosting LOTS of boats, where the economies of scale make the initial outlay for such a costly piece of equipment viable...

Quote:
"A marine pump-out is the most cost effective way to provide this service," said Cox.

The pump-out boat, which would have charged customers $5 per 30 gallons of waste water, would have operated at a net loss over the 10-year contract necessitated by accepting the grant to pay for the boat. Cox argued the net loss was absorbed by the Harbor Department's revenues.

"To explain to you the importance of this document, you have in your income to the town mooring fees of about $55,000 on operational budget or about $21,000 and in order to retain this income stream, you need an approved harbor management plan."

No Pump-Out Boat For Tiverton - Government - Tiverton-Little Compton, RI Patch
For a community like Daytona to purchase a $50K pumpout boat to service a relative handful of anchored boats - who are paying nothing beyond the cost of each individual pumpout - I think might be a VERY tough sell to the taxpayers of Daytona... If an anchored boat can't make it to a pumpout dock under their own power in such a location, too bad... They should either be gone, or figure out some way to comply with the law...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-16-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook