SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
The Daytona Municipal Marina is operated by a corporation and they already have a pumpout boat they use in the Marina. I see ads for the operator job occasionaly. So the Equipment and Manpower is already there and being used,they just won't come out to an anchorage,they could they just don't/won't.
After all we are discussing the merits of a mooring field and the advantages and costs and such.
As well as offering services like shower,water they don't have a dinghy dock and if you o in and say your at anchor and would like to purchase a shower they will not accomidate you,why?
Seems using equipment and manpower and laws already in place and being underutilized would be a no brainer. couple that with an increased awareness of who and what is at anchor and which vessel is incapable of making way and all the merits of he mooring field arguement go away.
They (law enforcement) have taken action to remove several boats that were anchored and unable to make way. No engine,no mast, your out of there. also ,if your boat sinks in the halifax river and you are identified as the last owner of record via the last registration or HIN you will be recieving a visit from the man,
there are already laws in place to address vessel operation on florida waters.
What's more , I think Daytona is missing the boat on all the boat traffic as you don't get the chatter online about Daytona as you do for places like Oriental,Vero,St.Aug. etc. if they fostered a more welcoming atmosphere instead of being known for aggressive FWC/Law enforcement tactics everyone would be better served,local merchants and boaters of all stripe.
Actually Daytona is not a good stop on the Waterway. I only stop there because it's between St. Augustine and Titusville. There's not much there. No laundry, Publix, liquor store convenient to any dink dock. The restaurant in the Halifax Harbor basin seems to be under different management every other year. West Marine is gone. The anchorage is well sheltered, that's about it. And the rowers wake you up early in the morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook