SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Downside of living aboard

56K views 160 replies 70 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
I've been perusing various liveaboard blogs, and one thing I notice, is, several months in, the blogger sells their boat and moves back on land.

Bc of this, I wondered why that is.

One common thing it seems, is that most failures involve derelict boats. You know the sort, engine doesn't function, the inside is rotted out, the thing leaks like a sieve, electrical causes all sorts of damage, etcetera and etcetera.

Another thing I've noticed is that, when these bloggers start out, they are full of excitement. They spend the first few months working on their new old boat. At some point, they run out of money, energy, and/or time. So, they throw in the towel and move shore side.

The most interesting, imho, thing, is that the majority seem to focus upon making their new old boat pretty, as opposed to functional. Or at least, non-sinkable, non-leaky...

As most sailnetters are aware, lots of people show up, ready to live the dream. I was one of them a year and a half ago. Imho, the failures are those with arguably, unrealistic expectations. Mostly in the financial area, it seems. But also in their perception of what the dream is.

This leaves me wondering, what percentage of people who move aboard stay? Also, what is the most common reason for failure?

Anyway, just curious. That, and, I figure it wouldn't hurt to have a thread discussing the "downside" of living aboard. Not to crush anyone's dream. Rather, to put some realism back into the equation.

See less See more
#143 ·
Agree, that's why I purchased and installed an explosive gas detector on the boat. Best place to set up a portable genset is on a raised, stern platform, someplace where the exhaust is facing outboard of the boat.

If I had the funds, I would install an internal genset, but they are really expensive around here.

Gary :cool:

#145 ·
Not only does it detect carbon monoxide, it also detects battery acid fumes, even the most minute amount. Keep in mind that carbon monoxide is highly explosive, too. here's the one I purchased Amazon.com: MTI Industries 30-442-P-WT Propane Gas Alarm - White: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DL9MfZWRL.@@AMEPARAM@@41DL9MfZWRL

The list of explosive gasses it detects is very extensive. I once spilled some gasoline while refueling, which triggered the alarm almost instantly. I couldn't smell the vapor, but the device did. On another occasion I was cleaning a paint brush in the cabin with lacquer thinner, which also triggered the alarm. Pretty amazing device, especially for the price.

#147 ·
#146 ·
Wow, I'd never known that. I'd never heard is was explosive. Apparently in 12-75% concentrations, way above the lethal limit so maybe that's why it rarely gets mentioned. After all, if you're dead, does getting blown up really matter?

Nice to have one meter that knows more than one trick. Although there's nothing quite as infuriating as a propane sniffer that is obviously on drugs, falsing hour after hour with no good way to tell if it is or isn't pranking you. (sigh.)

Another good reason for a "Pardey-esque" boat, with even less stuff on it.(G)

#148 ·
yes, it's marketed as an LP gas detector, which is the primary reason I purchased it. However, when I began reading the associated literature that came with it I discovered it works for many other explosive gasses. Just a bonus I guess. ;)

Now, there are others that have cut-off valves that automatically shut down the propane with a solenoid when explosive gasses are detected, but they are quite expensive in comparison. I always turn off the propane after cooking, just to be on the safe side. In the past 4 years, though, I've never had a propane leak. I've had batteries overcharge, spilled gasoline, but not a single propane problem.

All the best,

Gary

#149 ·
Apparently the big non-no for boaters are the 1 or 2 pound propane bottles. There's no valve on them, just rubber "ball" that is supposed to block off the gas when nothing is screwed into the bottle. Unfortunately, I've seen those rubber balls just not make a good seal, so the propane can and will normally leak out. Even the "good" ones can go bad in storage that way. Although, some clever soul does sell gasketed brass caps that can be screwed over those, to ensure there us a positive seal.

#152 ·
I use those 1lb disposable tanks and have never had a problem. I store new ones in the lazeret ( vented to sea). My rule fro them is once it is hooked to the regulator of portable equipment it stays on till its empty a valve is much more reliable than the check valve on the tanks

#150 ·
For me, a 20-pound bottle lasts me about 6 months of cooking. And, those bottles have a valve on top, which I can readily access when I need to turn the stove/oven on or off. That's why I didn't spend another $150 for an LP gas detector that had the solenoid valve in the system. I've had small bottles leak from the rubber valves after removing the regulator, so I just don't trust them, though I use them on my kettle grill. After connecting the valve on the small bottles, I usually just leave it connected and leave the bottle attached to the grill unless the weather is going to be real nasty. If that's the case, I remove the bottle, leave the regulator connected and bungee the bottle to the stern rail, which if it were to leak, the leakage would blow overboard. I must admit, though, I've only had one of those bottles leak in 50 years of using them.

All the best,

#151 ·
I am not fully moved into my new boat, a Pearson Vanguard, but I'm quite comfortable on it for long periods, and I don't need anything else. My only gripe about living aboard so far is waking up with a hangover when the wind is pounding or there's lots of boat traffic in the little bay where my marina is, and feeling more like crap than if I were on land with a hangover because my boat is getting bounced around at the dock. Other than that, I have no complaints that I can't do anything about.

I have a list of "to do" projects taped to the inside of my coach roof. Like someone said before, new liveaboards tend to start out strong and their will dies off. I take it slow with my projects and have fun in between. My projects involve both comfort of living, safety issues to address, cosmetics, and mechanical work. Basically everything to keep a boat as it should be kept. The safety and rigging projects I have take priority. Without them, I feel much less comfortable sailing the boat. The comfort projects are mostly little things I can do in the evenings before or after dinner, or on a rainy day where I mostly stay inside the cabin.

#154 ·
I am not fully moved into my new boat, a Pearson Vanguard, but I'm quite comfortable on it for long periods, and I don't need anything else. My only gripe about living aboard so far is waking up with a hangover when the wind is pounding or there's lots of boat traffic in the little bay where my marina is, and feeling more like crap than if I were on land with a hangover because my boat is getting bounced around at the dock. Other than that, I have no complaints that I can't do anything about.

Living aboard is not the problem. Boozing is.
The solution is simple and cheap.
STOP BOOZING!
Amazing how that eliminates hangovers .
Miraculous!

#153 · (Edited)
I have been living aboard my current boat for over 30 years. I built her in the summer of 1984 to my own design, a 31 ft steel twin keeler. With previous boats I have owned, I have lived aboard full time, for most of the last 45 years. I have for several years had the free use of a large house with a huge flat screen TV and all the comforts. Two days there and I cant wait to get back on my boat. I find land dwelling one of the most boring things imaginable.

My boat is the most comfortable home I have every had, Several of my clients have said the same thing about their boats.
Living aboard full time has saved me so much money that it enabled me to semi retire in my mid 20's, working about a month a year to acquire all the money I needed.
How so?
I NEVER pay moorage. I stay anchored. I see some paying more in moorage than my total cost of living.
Building my boat from scratch enables me to get things right the first time ,including getting enough epoxy on the inside of my boat, the most important paint you can ever put on a steel boat. Steel construction means zero deck leaks. Thick spray foam insulation ,and a good airtight wood stove, means a super warm, dry interior. Twin keels means being able to stay in drying anchorages for weeks on end, for free. A good rain water catchment means getting my water for free.
I have done only two haulouts in 31 years. I do all my own my work, on the beach at low tide when necessary. .
Don't drink ,don't smoke, don't do drugs, and don't chase women, drastically cutting my costs. Hunt and fish for groceries, drastically cutting my costs.
There is no way I could ever afford to live any other way, as cheaply.
When I built my first boat, it was worth the same amount as a house. Now they are giving boats away, and a house costs a million bucks.
I am meeting a lot of young people lately, especially young women, who realize the only way they could ever afford their own home is if it is a boat. What a change! In my 20s all the women I met wanted nothing to do with boats.They were locked on two goals, real estate and making babies.
Great to see them enjoying such freedom, and valuing it. Great to be able to pass on what I have leaned over the decades.

#159 ·
I am meeting a lot of young people lately, especially young women, who realize the only way they could ever afford their own home is if it is a boat. What a change! In my 20s all the women I met wanted nothing to do with boats.They were locked on two goals, real estate and making babies.
Great to see them enjoying such freedom, and valuing it. Great to be able to pass on what I have leaned over the decades.
I guess I have had fantastic luck! I met a young woman in 1969 who I was able to talk into living aboard a sailboat. We didn't get our funds together until 1971, but we've been aboard and cruising since then!

I think there's always been the women with adventue, daring and the vision, but most, men and women, are not bold enough to take the leap!

Congratulations! I'm your neighbor!

#155 · (Edited)
Yep, including walking all the way up and down your gangway in the rain trying to carry groceries, or just get to work dry, living in a space with no insulation nor AC, leaking port holes, constant mold that has to be managed and all the other things regular humidity harms like framed pictures and guitars, etc.

And, you'll find your "I'll sail most day after work and every weekend" ideas don't materialize when it takes more than an hour to turn her from a home to a sailing vessel that won't break all your stuff on the first gust or big wave.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- No insulation is easy to resolve. Insulate the boat well, a must for comfortable living aboard in a cold damp climate. If done well , it keeps a boat super dry ,by eliminating condensation. Leaky ports ? Then bed them properly.
Some where on this site, someone mentioned spending a night on a Beneteau, the most damp and uncomfortable night he had ever spent.
Stock boats need a lot of added insulation, and an added heat source, to be liveable in a cold climate. They are made for pretty, not function.

My boat got musty when it was painted white. Painted her dark green, and the mold went away. Hull felt warm to the touch in the sun, on minus 12 degree days. Dried the lockers right out.
Wood stove helps a lot.
My interior is set up so I can set sail any time, without anything falling or breaking. Don't rig your interior like it is a house.
If your boat is not the most comfortable dwelling you have ever lived in, you are doing something wrong. It can be. There is a cure.

Reactions: Wels
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.