SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
when I travel by auto I visit places that I have past by or briefly stopped.
I often surprised that the perspective from the land reveals many available services within walking or biking distance from the waterfront. But, for whatever motivation, nobody at the waterfront seems to be forthcoming with any knowledge of.
I often wonder if their is a hidden agenda.
However, it is more likely that they are just not in tune with what a cruises needs /wants are due to their scewed perception of what traveling by boat means to different boaters.
In my hometown, the city is currently building a marina (using federal grant money, of course), that was supposed to be completed April 30. A couple of days ago, they announced a change order, that will add $130,000 and 30 days to the completion cost and date.

What was this major change? They had forgotten to put in any slips for people to pull in and tie up for a few hours to eat or shop at one of the numerous restaurants and shops, located with three blocks of the new harbor, (although people coming to this harbor in their boats and shopping and eating had been one of the justifications for building it). They have been building this harbor for two years before this problem was recognized, (mainly, as it neared completion, and people looking at it said, "I don't see the day slips. Where will they be located?" Dohhhhh!

Sometimes, it's evil, and sometimes it is just the normal dysfunction that all government is famous for and excels in.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook