SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

The boys and I had a KILLER sail on Sunday. Forecast called for 15-20+ knots, and that's exactly what we got.

I wanted to do some testing with the boat and sail configurations in bigger winds so we headed out.

We started with a single reef in the main, and a partially furled genny. The wind at that point was 15-20 and she sailed flat and steady - getting 6.5 knots or so SOG.

We then shook out the reef and unfurled the sail. She remained perfectly stable and bumped up to the low 7s SOG.

The wind continued to build and we were seeing gusts to 27 knots...with full sail. On a reach she was definitely heeling with the puffs, but I was AMAZED at how little weather helm she had compared to my C27. She's an amazingly solid boat.

So, we've learned that she wants a reef when the wind builds past 20 knots. But she is very forgiving...while remaining very fast.

As for that fast part, we caught a 38-ish Beneteau (didn't catch the model) on the same point of sail. We started about 200 yards behind them - and within maybe a mile or so, we were just off their port beam throwing our empties at them.

I love our boat!

(PS - The tide was super low when we got back to the marina. We were actually dragging through the soft silt as I was trying to dock her - stern-in. It was a challenge, but we nailed it. It's great to start gaining some confidence with our new boat.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-18-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
SailRedemption (02-19-2014)