SailNet Community - View Single Post - $3000/mo cruising budget
View Single Post
post #193 of Old 02-18-2014
xort

Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
We have 4 aboard, not 2 as you well know. And as you well know from fb, we are sitting still in marathon because we have finally met a large group of kids and the boys love it here. Can i move on? Absolutely. Will I? Not yet. My kids love it here.

I have been very upfront about our circumstances. However, i dont agree with you on the water usage. But we will leave it at that. I gave this thread our reality which was quickly crapped on. So my newest line is that anyone who cannot cruise on $500/month has issues.
sorry about the tone, didnt come out the way I thought it would.
I still dont think a family of 4 would need a watermaker for coastal cruising. What is your tankage? We saw a half dozen kid boats anchored in Newport harbor this summer. If water access is what is keeping you tied to the dock, you need to rethink that. As I mentioned, there are plenty of town docks you can pull the boat up to and fill water tanks. In Newport they have a water float in the middle of the harbor. Free water.
Saw kid boats in the Bahamas where water is harder to come by but they were making do.

I jumped on this because you seemed to be inferring a boat with 4 people couldnt coastal cruise without suffering a water shortage. Again, between fuel stops where water is available, free town docks where water is available and an occasional stop at a marina where you can wash the boat and fill up...there is quite a bit of water accessable. If you're burning thru 50 gallons a day then you need to stay tied to the dock.

I think it is necesssry for people to differentiate between livaboard at the dock vs cruising. Big difference in lifestyles and costs
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome