SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Another sail test on the RM 890

This one (by Voile et Voiliers) more than a simple contact it is a better one, more precise and informative regarding wind and sea conditions, performance and things that could be better.

The version tested was the one with twin keels and a single rudder, a deep one. Even so they say that in limit situations, with too much heel, the rudder has a tendency to "ventiler", that I would translate by losing grip. They say that it would be better a solution with twin keels and two rudders (like some others RM can have). Off course, it is not by chance that the shipyard chose that solution regarding cruising but because it allows (as you can see on the picture) a third support point for balancing the boat while beaching it. Not a strong one but one that can be important just to maintain the balance.

The boat on this configuration has a draft of 1.5m and is RCD classified as a class B boat. On the version with single keel (1.9m) and two rudders it is classified as a A boat.

Regarding things they did not like: A feeling a bit stiff on the tiller (single rudder), the galley storage not well thought and the standing height a bit limit...and that's all in a boat that they found proportionally lighter and faster than the other RM series. They also refereed a good finish and that in what regards sailing all is perfect: the position for steering the boat, the way all rigging is done regarding a solo sailor, with everything at easy reach.

They also refer a great storage on the cockpit, with a double central locker for the life raft and dinghy, a big lateral one for sails, outboard engine, boat defenses and also a big anchor locker.

Regarding performances they were a lot clearer and more complete than on a previous test I had already talked about.

with a sea almost with no waves they were surprised with a very good performance with light winds and I say surprised because on this type of very beamy hulls upwind performance in light winds is normally a weak point.

Main sail and genoa: 7K wind 5.1K speed at 50º off TRW.
Main sail and genoa: 9k wind 5.4K speed at 50º off TRW.
Main sail and genoa: 9k wind 6.7K speed at 70º off TRW.

Mainsail and Ass.Spi: 7k wind 6.0K speed at 90º off TRW.
Mainsail and Ass.Spi: 11k wind 8.4K speed at 100º off TRW.
Mainsail and Ass.Spi: 11k wind 7.3K speed at 140º off TRW.

As you can see the overall performance is very good for a cruiser with 9m. Going at almost 8.5K with only 11k wind is outstanding and already way over hull speed. From then on, with more wind I am quite sure the speed will increase rapidly and this baby will be able to do 2 figure speeds with strong winds, adequate sails and a good sailor at the tiller.

Even without nothing of that, just with an average sailor and only with genoa the boat is already making almost 7K with 9K winds. It is a pity they didn't refer the speed with 11k with only genoa but I would say that it would be around 7K or just a bit over. A very fast cruiser that can be even faster, specially upwind on the version with a single keel and deep draft.

The boat seems to sail so well that maybe they contemplate making a "RC" version with a really deep keel, something like 2.3m. That would save a considerable weight in ballast, would allow the boat to plane earlier and would improve even more the upwind potential making it a boat to make the transquadra. The hull seems to deserve it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-19-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook