SailNet Community - View Single Post - $3000/mo cruising budget
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

I love hearing about and learning from the experiences of guys who are out there doing it. For those of you posting real experience, do not think for a minute that I am critical of some detail or opinion. That pales in comparison, same thing with the quibbling. Its usually a misunderstanding. Know that I ( and I am sure many others) truly appreciate the sharing of information.

I have been to key west many times by land and I like it but my wife usualy has a melt down after a day or two because of all the tourist traffic and drunks. So we end up back at Lorelei in Islamorada. I think if we were on a boat she would get enough time for decompression. we could stay on the hook once in a while but I am thinking a marina slip would be best for her.

We will have somewhere between 3 - 4 k/ month to spend when we go. We will have to spend less then $100k for the boat. Probably closer to $50k. Cash. Depends on if we sell the house back here or keep it.

We will have free health insurance. With the boat paid for and $3k +/ month budget will I have to avoid and worry about such attractive tourist traps? If I have to get too stressed out about the money it won't be worth it.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 02-19-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook