SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
oh i know all that, but why should one do so, if you could just design it differently?
transparent aluminium anyone?
Aluminium oxynitride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
this is btw quite the same stuff you have on your watches around your wrist... but we all knew that lieutenant commander montgomery scott gave away the recipe back in 1986...

besides even if i have no doubts that the designers made their homework regarding impact resistance, it still is not an appealing design to me...
That's more like it I would say that I agree with you that shape seems not to have any functional purpose even if I doubt that in what regards impact would be very different than a simple vertical one (maybe even better in all impact directions except a straight one). Anyway given the small height and the support an aluminium structure can give, not a problem in what regards functionality also.

That leaves us on the aesthetically field and there I would have to look better at it. Certainly unusual and even if I have no doubts that in what regards interior space and interior view it is not a good idea, a slightly curved form from the outside view can give an interesting outlook (but I would like to see it better). Personally I would not have traded a slightly more interesting exterior outlook (if it is the case) by a poor interior feeling...but it is just me. In what regards aesthetics we are on a much more subjective field.

Regarding transparent Aluminium I did not know about it. it seems hard and expensive to make and I did not saw curved surfaces but maybe in the future we could see an all aluminium boat, "windows" and all

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-19-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook