SailNet Community - View Single Post - Voyaging on $500 per month
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Our spare depth sounder is a lead line, complete with a wax grab well so we can sample the bottom. When we bought our current boat it came with a dead depth sounder. We had to sail it back home, through unfamiliar water, so we dug out the lead line and were off. We spent that entire first season without a functioning depth sounder. The lead line was all we had, and it worked just fine. Made us a bit more cautious when entering strange anchorages, and anchoring probably took a bit longer, but no big deal really.

Don't get me wrong, I like working depth sounder. But it only took a short time to get used to using a lead line.
I used to use a lead line all of the time when I first started sailing. My first sailboat had no electronics except an intermittent depth gauge (it only seemed to work in water that I knew was deep enough) and a VHF radio (which we could use to use to make phone calls back then if we kept out later than we planned and you would actually read your credit card numbers off to the operator (to show how innocent the world was back then), or make it collect). I made my lead line from an old window weight.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook