SailNet Community - View Single Post - $3000/mo cruising budget
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
Is 2018 2019 Deb and I are headed down south to kw. Do you think a generator will work to keep us cool in the hottest part of the day? Of is that not the efficient way to stay cool? the C&C 30 has only the basic stuff and with out a/c. So I need to way to keep her comfortable. Or is it better to stay north when its dead of summer? We will not have $3,000 a month to spend. in fact unless something changes, it looks like we will only have $1,200 to $1500 a month. so very little dock time will be in that price? I have a little Honda 2000 gen. We will keep our home in SC rented out while we are on our 5 year cruise.
LT
The best thing to keep a sailboat cool in the summer is shade. On my boat, I have awnings that cover it from the bow to the stern with a lot of overhang. I learned that back from boating in boats that didn't have generators.

I have two ACs and a 4.5 KW genset on my boat, and awnings, and I prefer the awnings. Awnings are the kind of thing you may not see on a boat on its first trip down south, but they usually will be there on the second trip (think how much nicer it is under your bimini, and then think about the whole boat being shaded). I have custom made ones now, but back in the day, I used to use those cheap blue plastic tarps (they didn't last but one season usually, but it was cheap to buy more).

I like being outdoors. I don't cruise to be shut up in a boat with the AC going all day. I can do that at home.

The big thing you have to prepare for, anywhere down south from June to September, when boating and living on the boat, is hurricanes. They don't come that often, but you don't want to be the guy with no idea of what to do, and no place to go, when one does show up. Hurricanes are really the only negative in the south in the summer for me.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook