SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
FIPOFIX and Norbert Sedlacek

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
20 k US$ for the m≤ with 2-5 mm thickness...
and since it is essentially a ceramic (even if aluminium based) you can bake it in any form you like... i just use to call it "transparent aluminium" since i am an old treky...
Yes those kind of materials will have a huge use in the future. What makes them expensive now is the high technology needed to make them but I suspect that it will end in the future, not the technology needed but the costs involved in using it. We have already talked about Salonas using Carbon/Basalt bulkheads and also about Fipofix...and talking about that let's have some news about my preferred lunatic: Norbert Sedlacek on its tiny mini yellow racer made of fipofix (Vulcanic Carbon fiber):

Yes I think that he is mad but that does not mean that I do not have a huge respect for him his resilience and sailing skills, even a lot more now than some time ago.

Norbert is alone on an Atlantic Transat, on a particularly bad and stormy year and it looks that he had managed to make the worst part of the voyage, since he is now, after 33 days at sea, past the Canary Islands. He is not much worried because he says he has provisions for more 60 days.

In fact he is quite happy now that he is approaching the trade winds. If you think (like me) that all this is a bit mad let me say that he is without autopilot almost from the beginning and stays outside on the cold on a Dry-suit 19 to 20 hours a day. He says that eating, using the head or sleeping is a bit acrobatic or involves some sort of heaving...and I believe him

He deserves a big Chapeau for having reached here steering by hand on a minuscule boat on very adverse conditions and many chapeaus if he manages to reach St. Augustine / Florida. I hope that some of you are there to receive him. He is mad but what a feat and what a sailor

Open 16 FIPOFIX - Live Tracking

https://www.facebook.com/norbertsedlacek.at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-19-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook