SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fender hangers...too many choices!
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Re: Fender hangers...too many choices!

Ahh! Another spirited debate resurrected!

I'm lucky in that my boat has LL stanchions exactly where it needs fenders. I've been tying them at the base with a clove hitch (or some sort of multi-hitch barf) but just bought brass clips to allow 'anyone' to simply wrap the whip around the LL post and clip it to itself. Both fenders hang within a fraction of an inch of each other, so there is no 'wrong way' to hang the two.

The above is fact; below is opinion.

The Navy taught me that life-lines are for just that; not for leaning against or hanging drinks from. I still do it, but at least I feel bad. I do agree that fenders shouldn't be hung from them. I think it is too much stress and it goes on 24/7 when the boat's tied up.

My brother slipped on deck years ago, broke a rib (or two, who X-rays anymore? It's so eighties. ) and would have rolled into the Bay if the life-lines weren't there for him to grab. It's only an anecdote, but still Thanksgiving is more fun with him there.

I would like to close by saying I would only clip my fender whips to the life-lines if I were going down the ICW without an engine.

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook