SailNet Community - View Single Post - Voyaging on $500 per month
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Ironically, I had to watch a friend's 42 Hunter in Marathon's Boot Key Harbor last winter while he drove home to take care of his ailing brother who had underwent bypass surgery and was having a rough time. He hoped his solar panel (500-watt) would keep his house batteries charged enough to take care of his fully stocked onboard refrigerator/freezer - it didn't. We had about 7 days of cloudy weather and one afternoon I went out to check on his boat and the stench was enough to kill a horse. I threw away more than $1,500 in food that had spoiled in the freezer and refrigerator, then spent two days cleaning it out with bleach water and detergents. It was a horrendous mess. When he came back to the boat a month later, he and his wife both said if they would have come back to that smell, they would have tossed a match into the cabin and just dinghy'd away and let it burn to the waterline and sink.

We remain good friends and I hope to see them this coming summer when I sail down to northern Virginia where they currently reside.

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook