SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014

delite is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
Yeeea, like I said, go back and read the thread. This story is not about derelict boats or squatters.I live in this city and have for many years. I have a boat and pay for a slip at a near by facility. This issue and complaint about a contractor of a city dock taking a mooring field for profit from the citizens for profit.
if all you had to say is there should be no abandoned boats then I would be inclined to agree with your statement. However, that's not what you said.
How cool "So did my Grand Father"
Given it has no effect on your ability to use the waterway or anchor nearby I dont understand your issue. So a transient boat may or may not use a mooring - big deal. How does this effect you or local boat owners?
Within 6 months they will be full of derelict boats dumped by irresponsible owners anyway and then they will be the contractors problem. Sounds more like the city dodged a potential liability than they gave someone a business opportunity with only 16 moorings.

Even if every mooring was used every day of the year at $25 a day thats only $146k in revenue. Now be realistic about the numbers and this is very likely less than $50K a year in revenue Sorry but the city gave the operator nothing but a headache.

What is your complaint? That someone got a bad govt contract that didnt cost you anything?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook