SailNet Community - View Single Post - What I did on vacation
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007

XTR is on a distinguished road
Talking What I did on vacation

Pictures here

Delivered a Baltic 47 from USVI to Chesapeake Bay. I understand that this boat (SV Momentum) won it's class in the Newport to Bermuda last year. It's a semi-custom build cruiser/racer. I doubt you'll see another one around. The boat sails beautifully. Coming up the bay close hauled in a gale and I was doing 8kts and had less than half a spoke of weather helm. (we did have 2 reefs in the main and only about 8 or 10 feet of jib rolled out).

We were just using cruising sails (she's got a full inventory of racing sails) Once you get over about 10kts of wind she'd do 50% of wind speed close reach. I think she makes hull speed at about 16 kts. My watch crossing the stream I made 40nm by GPS on a 4 hour watch the apparent wind at about 60 to 80 so I wasn't surfing.

By Neptunes grace we crossed the Stream on Friday, Saturday on they were looking at 40kt+ winds out of the NE (read nasty flat faced/breaking swells) and a 20ft+ swell and I don't think its down yet. I might still be hove too on the other side waiting to cross and would have been not too happy.

edit: ok, kts/nm it was late last night and I was tired.

Last edited by XTR; 05-09-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook