SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014

remetau is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
So the only difference between these types of squatting, for that's what it is, is that one is land-based and one water-based?

If you have a nice, fancy, high-dollar, well-kept camper rig and park it in a public park, you'll get run out in short order. So take your nice camper rig and spend a bit and go to a state or national park campground. It's a nominal fee, and limited duration, and it's public land. I'm assuming that, based on the lack of complaint, everyone is OK with that.

So maybe if you view the mooring fields in the same light, you get my take on it. I'm damned if I can see any difference.

It's a public waterway, moorings installed and controlled by a public entity, for a nominal fee, with limited duration. Just like a state or national park campground.

In any case, one never sees commercial boats (fishermen or the like) just randomly anchoring, as cruisers do. Would the commercial boats be asked to leave the anchorage, or do they just not want to anchor for free?
I can see your point for long term users, but what about the transients?
Should somebody that just wants to rest as they make their way down the ICW be required to pay for every night that they stop?
If that is the case, then what about public rest stops where truckers are allowed to park their rigs while they rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to remetau For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (02-20-2014)