SailNet Community - View Single Post - Early storm
Thread: Early storm
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yot... we all hope for good outcomes for anyone caught out at sea...but second guessing things is lots of fun especially when more facts come out and prove someone right or wrong.
I CAN tell you that no one belongs on diamond shoals on MONDAY when storms were predicted at LEAST 3-4 days earlier. Lots of sailors make bad decisions...hell...Donna Lange made a bad decision a couple of weeks back and she is MOST accommplished yet was lucky to survive.
I don't see anything wrong at all with saying "What WERE they thinking? How could they end up there??"
Here's another thought...XTR explains that they didn't hear till Friday. So what??...the winds and storm track were from the NORTH/West. Chris Parker was on the SSB telling people to head south to get out of the way. Could it be that DELIVERY boats like the 52 footer that is still missing face a choice between safety and a delivery schedule and made the wrong choice because they continue to push on until it is too late to make a choice?
These are things we should talk about here in my opinion. So...if you're tired of it...stop reading!
There are 2 ways to avoid making dumb decisions at sea. MAKE ONE really bad one OR read about decisions others have made and LEARN. Hopefully then we will make only SMALL dumb decisions!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook